Scroll all the way down for our brand new online equipment shop!
At Chitty's Cake Shop, nestled cosily within Birmingham's most creative and exciting complex - The Custard Factory - you will find our home. It’s more than just a cake shop – you can of course treat yourself to cake and a hot or cold drink, buy a gift voucher, book a class, talk to someone about ordering a bespoke cake, perhaps take part in a short workshop and purchase specialist cake decorating equipment that can be hard to find elsewhere. Bespoke cakes need to be ordered at least 3 days in advance (and 'Simply Sweet' ones 24 hours ahead of time), but you can come along to purchase a box of cupcakes in a mix of the flavours on the menu that day plus traybakes and slices of cake, all freshly baked on the premises.
Here are just a few of the things you can do at Chitty’s Cake Shop on Gibb Street (next door to 'Clink Beer'):
- Browse, get advice on and purchase specialist cake baking and decorating equipment – we only sell products that we use and recommend ourselves and we would be happy to show you how to use them and help you decide what you might need for a specific project. See below for pictures of our stock and prices.
- Relax with a hot drink (we serve Twining’s tea, Cadbury's hot chocolate and Quarterhorse coffee – roasted right here in Birmingham!) and a cupcake or sweet treat freshly baked on the premises
- Purchase a box of cupcakes to take away – we can gift-wrap these in boxes of 4, 6 or 12 and you can choose from the selection on sale that day (see below for our current flavours, updated weekly)
- Collect pre-ordered bespoke cakes and cupcakes (we ask for three days’ notice for these, or a minimum of 24 hours for our ‘Simply Sweet’ range)
- Talk to a member of staff about a cake order – we can discuss ideas, look at pictures and provide quotes and answer any questions you may have
- Book a class – you can talk to our staff to find out which class would be best for you and get any questions answered before booking
- Arrange a wedding consultation – you can come and talk to our cake designer to share ideas, look at examples, taste some samples and get a quote for your wedding (you can find more information on our wedding service here)
This Week's Flavours
Each week we bake up different cakes to keep things interesting – we try to keep it seasonal so the ingredients are fresh, and always throw in a few classics amongst the more experimental flavours so there is something for everyone. Slices of cake are £2.50, and cupcakes are £2.40 each (or a box of 4 for £8, 6 for £11 or 12 for £20). We also sell tea, coffee, hot chocolate and a selection of cold drinks to have in or take away.
If you want to purchase a specific flavour (or mix of flavours) and/or design, then get in touch no later than 3 days before the collection date and we will make them especially for you. Otherwise pop in and you can buy anything on offer to take home that day (or enjoy in the relaxing environment of our upstairs or outdoor seating areas).
Here's what will be on offer for the week, starting Monday 9th July - we hope to see you there!
- Chocolate Raspberry with Vanilla Buttercream (Vegan)
- Lemon Drizzle Loaf (Vegan)
- Coconut & Raspberry Cake
- Chocolate Orange Cupcakes
- Vanilla & Strawberry Jam Cupcakes (Gluten Free)
- Salted Caramel Cupcakes
- Red Velvet Cupcakes
- Malteser Cupcakes
- Dark Chocolate Chip Flapjack
- Chocolate Oreo Brownie
Cake Decorating Equipment
Soon after we started running classes at the Custard Factory back in 2012, we began to sell some key pieces of equipment so students could try out their new skills at home. Since then, our range has gradually expanded and with every new class and skill we teach, we have tried to stock the equipment to match.
What sets us apart from other cake decorating suppliers is that we only stock items that we use ourselves on a regular basis in making our own bespoke cakes, and/or that we teach you how to use on our popular classes. If you attend one of our classes, you will be given a discount voucher to use in the shop, and an online code so you can pick up your equipment at a discounted rate.
You can place orders for collection from our shop (which is open between 10am and 6pm Monday through to Saturday) or delivery is FREE for orders over £100, £5 for orders over £60 and £7.50 for all other orders. We use Royal Mail and post your items First Class.
You can bake with the finest ingredients and mix everything together with absolute precision, but if you are baking with the wrong equipment, your cakes just won’t work. We only sell the tins and tools we use ourselves in our bakery so you can rest assured they are top quality.
When you're decorating a cake, it is important to work with the right tools. We only sell equipment we use ourselves to decorate our bespoke cakes, and much of what you see here is equipment we demonstrate with at our classes and workshops. We stock a variety of brands, having experimented with a lot of what's out there, you can be sure you're getting a good quality, and cost effective product.
Using the right coverings for your creation is (quite literally!) the icing on the cake! Food colourings are a really important ingredient in the decorating of a cake too, and there is only one brand we will use. Here you will find cake coverings, food colourings, edible dusts and sprays.