A short project based course of two full days teaching lots of skills and techniques to make a three tiered wedding cake - 2 x 8 hours (£210)
This intensive two day course will explore many aspects of making a professional wedding cake. You will not only learn to bake, but also to decorate a three tiered round wedding cake in a wide variety of styles, allowing you to design your own cake and work over the two days to create it, with the guidance of your tutor. The date listed is day one of the course - day two will be the following day.
On day one, you will bake two tiers of your wedding cake - a small fruit cake, and a traditional victoria sponge cake. The rest of the day will be spent learning the skills you will need to put into action to create your wedding cake, including:
- learning to make small simple decorations from gumpaste such as hearts, flowers, butterflies, birds and polka dots using cutters and moulds
- hand crafting roses and a variety of flowers and foliage
- making more modern cake decorations and toppers such as monograms, swags, lace, rose petals and bows
- making royal icing and learning a variety of piping techniques including mehndi and lace patterns as well as traditional shell piping around the base of your tiers
- learning quilting techniqes to add an attractive quilted design to your icing
- learning to use embossing mats and pins to add texture your wedding cake.
You will finish day one with some time to design your wedding cake, with the guidance and advice of your tutor (an experienced wedding cake maker) incorporating the skills and decorations learned and created over the course of the day.
On day two, you will start to piece together your creation. You will spend the morning making your chosen decorations and toppers, before being shown how to level and cover your cakes. You will be shown how to marzipan and ice your fruit cake, crumb coat and ice your sponge cake and also smoothly ice a dummy cake as your bottom tier.
The remainder of the day will be spent bringing your wedding cake to life by using your new decorating skills and adding some of your decorations from day one. You will be shown how to stack the tiers of your cake successfully and given advice on transporting and setting up cakes as well as finishing them off to a professional standard.
You will take home your three tiered cake (a 10 inch dummy, an 8 inch sponge and a 6 inch fruit cake) as well as a comprehensive handout explaining all of the skills taught on the course. Much of the equipment used on the course will be available to purchase after the session and your lunch on day one will be included (a packed lunch will be needed for day two). Throughout the day refreshments will be available.
Dates for this class
|Sat 4th Jul, 2020||9.00am - 5.00pm (Sat/Sun)||£210.00||4||Book|
|Sat 8th Aug, 2020||9am-5pm for 2 days||£210.00||4||Book|
|Sat 26th Sep, 2020||9am -5pm for 2 days!||£210.00||6||Book|